Please Enable Cookies to Continue
Please enable cookies in your browser to experience all the personalized features of this site, including the ability to apply for a job.
The State and Local Tax practice of Alvarez & Marsal Taxand is responsible for providing multi-jurisdictional clients with a wide variety of tax consulting and compliance services. A&M’s State and Local Tax professionals focus on the tax implications of organization structure, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions. Our State professionals assist with management of the state tax function, efficient tax compliance, and tax controversy resolution. State and Local Tax professionals work on a diverse range of client projects including, but not limited to, state income and franchise tax refund analysis and planning for business operations and expansions, management and defense of examinations by state and local government authorities, assistance with sales and use and transaction taxes, and consulting on state and local tax ramifications of reorganizations, mergers, and acquisitions, and bankruptcy. Leveraging the experience of our worldwide Taxand network, our professionals advise some of the largest U.S. and non-U.S. multinationals on the state and local tax aspects of a broad array of international structures and transactions.
- Conduct day-to-day management of accounts by delivering all tax consulting services to the client and bringing in specialists, when necessary;
- Oversee tax-planning responsibilities for multi-jurisdictional corporate clients, including management of FAS 109 and FIN 48 analyses and state effective tax rate planning;
- Build client relationships and demonstrate knowledge of client business;
- Lead brainstorming and other technical sessions intended to understand a client or prospective client’s state and local tax architecture;
- Oversee and conduct research and analysis of a wide range of tax issues related to business transactions and tax implications of financing techniques;
- Provide and review written and oral advice to clients serving a wide range of industries;
- Supervise assignments of professionals serving as Associates, Senior Associates, and Directors;
- Develop and motivate staff by providing them with leadership, counseling and career guidance through mentoring and performance feedback;
- Stay abreast of state and local tax developments affecting current and prospective clients;
- Market state and local tax services to current and prospective clients; and
- Demonstrate extensive technical experience and a developed reputation in a given industry/service line.
- 8+ years of public accounting experience in state and local taxation or equivalent gained in working in law firms or industry;
- Strong academic credentials;
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills;
- Possess creative problem solving skills;
- Ability to collaborate with others;
- Strong project management skills necessary;
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to exceed client expectations and deliver quality client service;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other business related field;
- CPA, Enrolled Agent or other appropriate certification (or in the process of pursuing);
- Advanced degree preferred: MST, Macc, JD or LLM;
- Prior Big Four experience a plus;
- Working experience with FAS 109 and FIN 48 a plus;
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment; and
- Willingness to travel.
EEO Statement 2: